While I’ve been traveling, a new meme has been circulating through the blogs, and this morning I found myself tagged by Brad, at Turning Pages. The meme is to list eight random facts about yourself, and since it’s fun to read those lists on other blogs and get to know many of you much better, I decided to participate. So here are the rules of the meme and some very random facts about me:
Meme rules: 1: Each player starts with 8 random facts/habits about themselves. 2: People who are tagged write a blog post about their own 8 random things and post the rules. 3: At the end of your post you need to tag 8 people and include their names. 4: Don’t forget to leave them a comment and tell them they’re tagged, and to read your blog.
1. When I was six years old, I won a coloring contest sponsored by our local newspaper. The prize was an old Brownie camera, and I got my picture in the newspaper. I wasn’t the greatest “colorer” in the world, many (including my older brother) could color much neater and stay in the lines better than I could. But I included all kinds of “extras”…like clouds in the sky and flowers in front of the house.
2. 40 years ago I was chosen to be an American Field Service exchange student to Argentina. I spent a year there, living with an Argentine family, going to school, learning to speak the language fluently, and becoming part-Argentine in my heart. In those days, communication between the countries was much more difficult, and a year after returning home I lost track of my host family and my Argentine sister. Last year, thanks to the miracle of the internet, Silvia and I found each other again, and we’ve resumed our friendship and are slowly catching up on the happenings of the last 40 years!
3. I’ve been teaching for 20 years, which sounds like a lot of time put in until you meet my teammate, who has been teaching for 41 years!
4. Famous people I have met…Jane Goodall came to our school a few years ago and I was asked by my principal to introduce her at the assembly. Why? I’d told my principal my story about reading her book, In the Shadow of Man, when my son was a newborn, and about how that book had really influenced my parenting! He asked me to tell that story as I introduced her. She must have liked it because she kissed my cheek after the introduction. It’s a totally awesome experience to have your cheek kissed by one of your life heroes!
5. I started playing the flute in 5th grade, and stayed with it all through high school. I loved it, but haven’t played in years. My position in the school band was always “second chair flute” because my friend in the “first chair” was a very talented flute player from a family of 5 brothers, all of whom are very talented jazz musicians. He was inspirational, but I could never play the flute as magically as he played it.
6. My great, great grandparents were pioneers (covered wagons, hand carts, etc.)
7. My favorite evening entertainment is a quiet evening with B, watching a movie from Netflix, and maybe having a bowl of sherbet. We love to watch series that we miss when they’re on TV…we just finished watching the Sopranos, and now have to wait until the second half of season 6 comes out on DVD.
8. In August, B and I will have been married for 38 years. Who knows where the time goes?
Since I’ve been off the blogs for a week, I’m not sure who has or has not been tagged yet, so please consider yourself tagged if you haven’t been already!