Rachel (@hibernatorslibrary) is putting together a challenge called “2019 Year of Shakespeare.” I love Shakespeare and would like to read more of his plays so I have signed up to participate. The challenge will run from January 1st – December 31st. There will be theme-based trimesters and you can choose which play you want to read during each trimester.
Also, for each play, I’d like to watch a film version and read a fictional retelling and/or a children’s version. I will link up all my Shakespeare reading to this post, so please check back here occasionally during the year to see the progress I am making on this challenge. I will add a bulleted list of the different versions of each play that I read or listen to throughout this Challenge.
Jan – Apr: Comedies (I’m going to read The Winter’s Tale.)
- Retelling of “The Winter’s Tale” in The Best of Shakespeare, by Edith Nesbit. (Excellent!)
- Retelling of “The Winter’s Tale” in Shakespeare Stories II, by Leon Garfield.
- The Winter’s Tale, retold by Bruce Coville, illustrated by LeUyen Pham
- Short retelling of “The Winter’s Tale” in A Shakespeare Sketchbook, by Renwick St. James, illustrated by James C. Christensen.
- Retelling of “The Winter’s Tale” in Tales From Shakespeare, by Charles and Mary Lamb
May – Aug: Histories (I’m going to read Henry V.)
Sep – Dec: Tragedies (I’m going to read King Lear.)