One of my favorite things to do is read books about gardens, gardeners, and gardening! I find these books endlessly fascinating and inspiring. Many of the ideas for our own yard and garden have come from the books I read. A good example is the fence my husband has designed and will be building for the perimeter of our yard — his inspiration came from a photo in a book on Eudora Welty’s garden.
I’ve been keeping track of all these books on my garden blog, My Garden in the Grove, but I decided to duplicate the list here, although I hope you’ll visit my garden blog to see what occupies much of my not-reading time!
A List of some books I’ve read and reviewed with GARDEN at the heart...
- Renoir’s Garden: A Celebration of the Garden that Inspired One of the World’s Greatest Impressionist Painters, by Derek Fell
- Kitchen Gardens, by Mary Mason Campbell, illustrated by Tasha Tudor
- Barnheart, by Jenna Woginrich
- The White Garden, by Stephanie Barron
- One Writer’s Garden, by Susan Haltom and Jane Roy Brown
- Elizabeth and her German Garden, by Elizabeth Von Arnim
- The Secret Garden, by Francis Hodgson Burnett
- The Morville Year, by Katherine Swift
- Seedfolks, by Paul Fleishman
- Vincent’s Gardens, by Ralph Skea
- Emily Dickinson’s Gardens: A Celebration of a Poet and Gardener
- Tasha Tudor’s Garden, text by Tovah Martin
- An Island Garden, by Celia Thaxter
- Plant Dreaming Deep, by May Sarton
- In the Land of the Blue Poppies, by Frank Kingdon-Ward
- The Rose Girls, by Victoria Connelly
- A Year in the Big Old Garden, by James D. Witmer
- Gardenlust, A Botanical Tour of the World’s Best New Gardens, by Christopher Wood
- How My Garden Grew, by Anne & Harlow Rockwell
- The Lost Garden, by Helen Humphreys